Thursday, October 23, 2008

A fitting end


So over the period of 12 weeks, I've averaged a wholesome number of 30 blog posts. For others it's probably give or take 5 to 10. I've mainly tried to focus on the design thought side, though the odd design rant has occurred. Now in relation to trying to get blogging to be a visual diary of sorts, depending on what you do, it may or may not have succeeded. Hand sketches seem far and few between, notes you take, or concepts you think about have about a day of fame before being resigned to the archive. In terms of achieving a design studio outside the studio, probably not as successful as it could have been. Perhaps the blogs could have been incorporated into a forum of sorts, actually throwing up ideas for all to see? Overall, probably a solid experiment, but in need of some tweaking.

On a different rant, a curious thought occurred in a discussion. Now on one side of the design spectrum, if you know what you want to say, through a material for example, you can push and push it forward until you've realised your design. On the other side, if the lecturer deems that it's not deep enough, and throws your world upside down by offering you more pathways to explore this would probably leave you at a loss, as it did to me. Week after week, your design concepts, even if you've explored them at a relative depth, if they are rejected, you end up making a concept a week. So for the 6 to 7 odd weeks you would have made 5 to 6 roughly finalised concepts. Ok, even if you've made 3 to 4 concepts a week, there's probably one you prefer, and if that one is rejected, you'll be needing to head in a different direction. I suppose what I'm aiming to get across would be, could it be more productive if we had 2 projects in the 7 weeks? I don't think the outside would is as leisurely as Uni.

Mm, oh and studio in the middle of the week is probably not the best plan of action. 1 possibly 2 days to refine an idea, then the weekend without workshop open so you can't test the idea if you don't have access to your own modelling equipment, then another 2 days to churn out the model you should have done during the weekend but couldn't. I don't know, may others think this it totally ridiculous but that's my 2 cents and I don't think many people pay attention anyways.

Speaking of paying attention, apparently during the marking of the latest studio project, some people's drawings/rationales/boards etc were perfectly orientated after marking. Sus?

Reiterating what I said in a prior post, they say that you have to have an optimistic and a positive outlook if you're to design effectively. But with all that anticipation and worrying of "oh is my tutor going to like it?", "oh what am I going to do if they don't?", "oh have I put enough thought into this? [Which probably comes from research because I honestly don't think many of us have that much design experience]" - how are we exactly supposed to do that? Anxiety and stress are either our drivers or our handicaps.

I have a foreboding feeling I'm going to be seeing the inside of class 2b again next year. Who wants to bet that I do? Safest bet in the world.

No comments: